Monday, 13 March 2017
Wasted effort
A lot of what I learn, write and think about is fleeting. The only time I really focus is when I'm trying to prove a smug opponent wrong on a Facebook group on a topic I'm passionate about. Then I can focus like a laser beam. Otherwise I'm flitting between this thing I'm interested in and that thing I'm interested in and I don't think I'm really learning anything much. There's no meta happening.
Well actually, I am able to focus, under duress when I absolutely have to get a report or essay written. But most of what I actually learn in the research doesn't go into the final paper. My brain lights up for a while but then - pffft. It's gone. I'm back to tutting about Trump etc. I'm starting to think that all of this busy busy online activity is wasted effort. Learning needs to be crystalised. Just consuming information for entertainment or distraction doesn't lead to anything substantial.
My other reflection on wasted effort today is that people often have to write policies, putting in enormous effort but hardly anyone uses them or reads them. I'm thinking about all the wasted effort that goes into things people have to do and write, without much benefit. The people who write the policies probably learn a lot - so that's obviously good. For them at least.
Policies and procedures that never get read or that are too complicated to understand are something I remember well from my days in the semi-public service. I think I now believe that they mostly need to be living documents that are updated often.
I wonder if there's a Pareto principle at play for policies and procedures? (Note to self: I must watch Mr Popper's Penguins again). What I mean is that 20% of the policies contribute to 80% of use or benefit.
I think that if you are going to publish something as a journalist or author as fact, you need to check everything. It very much does have to be 100% right. It's an ethical responsibility. But other kinds of writing - like policies - just have to be good enough. The electronic age means that our writing can be tinkered with and improved. Things are fast now and 'good enough' and accepting the Beta version is a part of life that obsessives need to come to terms with.
Anyway, back to me. I hate that I learn so much but before long I feel that the knowledge is gone. I need a reflective place to check back on. Thus the birth of this blog. It's at the little chick pipping at the inside of the shell stage. Possibly only a field mouse will hear me if she listens very hard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment